Monday, May 27, 2019

Tale of a 100 Mile DNF

I decided this weekend that I need to write about the bad as well as the good. My last blog post was three years ago, after finishing the Booneville Backroads 100k. Since then, I've DNF'd at Leadville 100 twice (both times due to missing time cutoffs) and Booneville 100 miler a year ago (voluntarily dropping due to extreme heat).  This year, I waited to register for the 100 mile event until I felt confident in my ability to toe the start line.  Training in the three months leading up to this were going well, so I dropped the $155 registration fee and starting planning for the event, with Brian's help.

Last Wednesday, Brian and I decided to drive the 100k loop, to check out the condition of the "B" roads and make sure Brian was familiar with the crew driving directions.  The 100k loop looked good (at the time) and the "B" roads didn't look horrible :) .  However, the start/finish line area at the Booneville boat ramp was an absolute muddy mess.  We surmised at the time that it would be impossible to get the finish line and timing equipment set up in that area.

Hydration and a little carb-loading were in high-gear over the week preceding the race.  I always seem to struggle with fueling and hydrating, so Brian ordered some Skratch, an electrolyte replacement powder that a couple of friends swear by.  I gave it a try ahead of time to see how my stomach would handle it - light lemon-lime flavor and no gut issues.  Two big thumbs up!

The evening before the big event, we received a couple of emails from the race director regarding a change in course - the deluge of rain that Iowa has received this spring was causing road flooding and closures, so last-minute adjustments and changes had to be made to ensure the safety of runners and volunteers.  I went to bed about 8pm, trying to get a few hours of sleep (never easy the night before a race!)  Waking up at 3:15am, the adjusted race route directions were in my email, so as I was getting ready and drinking coffee, Brian was reading the directions and figuring out the route logistics.  Both the 100k and 50k segments were now "out-and-backs" rather than loops.  Considering the crazy weather we've had, kudos to the race director for making this a successful work-around, despite Mother Nature's best effort!

We arrived at Booneville around 5:20am.  Revised routes were handed out to runners - however, the last-minute changes to the race meant that the revised directions had no "left" or "right" prompts.  For everyone's safety, the start of the 100mile/100k was delayed until 6:45am until all the turns could be marked with flags (thanks Steve Bobenhouse for providing dozens of flags at the last minute!!)

Pre-race with Shawn & Brooke!

Lined up for the start
6:45 a.m. arrived and after a few last-minute directions and words of encouragement from race director Steve Cannon, we were off!  The first few miles were filled with light conversation and high energy, along with some walking on the uphills and running the downhills and flats.  Around five miles in, the 50k runners (who started at 7 a.m.) were catching up to us - first one who breezed by me was Chris Nealy with an easy stride and a huge smile on his face :) 

I was feeling good and doing well with hydration throughout the first portion of the race.  The only aggravation was that my hydration pack was leaking from the mouthpiece.  Nothing but annoyance, so when I got to the first aid station (mile 11.5) I switched out packs, drank a couple of cups of Skratch and grabbed a half a peanut butter and honey sandwich from Brian.  In and out of the aid station in about seven minutes, which is really good (for me - ha!)

A couple of miles later, Chris Nealy was heading back in, having already hit the turn-around on the 50k out-and-back.  Again, all smiles and positivity - as I cheered for him and he passed by, he said something like (if I recall correctly) "keep going...don't let your mind quit!".  Absolutely what I needed to hear - I am a mental runner, and I knew if I was to succeed, I had to keep my mind right.

Before the 50k runners' turn off, I had a runner pass me - and I noticed that his pack was steadily dripping water out of the bottom.  A quarter mile later, he was stopped and checking out his water pack which was completely empty.  I stopped, chatted with him for a few seconds, and offered him some water out of my pack.  Filled his hand-held about halfway and he continued on, very grateful!  I figured why not share - a little Karma could go a long way on a day like today.

The next interesting twist was about a mile later - a water crossing!  At the bottom of a hill on a low-lying gravel road (around mile 14.5) the North River (or a creek?)  had breached the road, in two areas. At first, I thought I would just walk through.  Then I realized the water to the left side was ankle deep, on the right it was shin-deep.  So, following the example of the runner ahead of me (Dave Mable) I took off my shoes and socks and waded through.  Kind of slow-going and a little painful, but I didn't want wet shoes and socks until the next aid station (10 miles ahead).  But the cold water felt great on the feet!

Dave Mable's pic at the water crossing

After the water crossing, the town of Bevington was about four miles ahead.  No aid station, but I knew I could run in to the Kum & Go store and refill my pack (which was empty).  After Bevington, it was another six-plus miles to St. Charles. A lot of quiet, alone time - runners ahead and behind me, but for the most part I was alone.  It was quite peaceful and beautiful, and I was feeling pretty good.  Except for the hot spots on my feet - toes and the balls of both feet.  I knew that I would have to figure something out at the next aid station. 

Coming in to St. Charles, the aid station was located at Imes Bridge, the only covered bridge that we would be running through/by due to the revised course (usual route takes us by four of the bridges).  It was also great to see familiar faces at the aid station - Jeff & Wendy Wamser and Mike McGinn. 

Imes Bridge at St. Charles

At this aid station, I filled my water, ate another 1/2 sandwich and a popsicle (thank you Mike!), drank some of the Skratch, and took care of the blisters with Brian's help.  The balls of both feet didn't have blisters (yet) but they were hot spots that were starting to "bark" so I had Brian put moleskin padding on both.  The blisters on the second toes we popped and put blister band-aids on. In and out of the aid station in less than 20 minutes.

From St. Charles to the next aid station it was just under nine miles, a mix of gravel roads and highway.  My strategy was to walk the couple of miles out of the aid station to let my food digest, then start up with a jogging/walking mix.  It worked well, and it was a good stretch of the route - at this point, the 100k and 100 mile leaders were passing me from the opposite direction so it was good to chat with and encourage each other.

Coming into the next aid station I was at 33.4 miles on my Garmin.  My pack was about empty so I was happy to get there....except they were out of water. No. Water.  What?!? 😒  I tried a cup of the Gatorade, but it was almost cough syrup flavor because it didn't have enough water mixed in.  So...grateful that I had Brian crewing for me.  He had an extra gallon of water, intending to mix up with the Skratch later on; instead, he filled my pack about 3/4 full and shared some with a few runners as they were leaving the aid station without water.  Then we got to the issue of my feet.  Still painful on the balls of the feet, and the moleskin didn't seem to be alleviating or keeping the blisters at bay.  Luckily for me, one of the runners we had met earlier in the day, Michael Ortiz, stopped and chatted a bit and offered a blister care bandage.  I put it on my left foot, and on the right I applied liquid band-aid and more moleskin.  I left the aid station (15 minute stop) walking with Brian and eating another half sandwich; we discussed the blisters and Brian decided he would go purchase some of the larger blister bandages (all that I had packed were smaller sized for toes - poor planning on my part).  As we were walking out, race director Steve Cannon showed up with a re-supply of water for the aid station  😂

This aid station was the halfway point of the 100k out and back, so now I was on the trek back to St. Charles.  Kind of lonely - passed a few runners going the opposite direction, but I kept at it with a jogging/walking combination.  I felt like I was still in the game, mentally, but the ball of my right foot was still a (literal) burning issue. About halfway back, I caught up to another runner.  He was ready to call it - he said this happens every time he does an ultra.  He gets 10-12 hours in and his mind tells him he is done.  He was feeling okay otherwise, so I said maybe he take a rest at the St. Charles aid station and spend some time hydrating and eating to get back "in the game".  We walked together for quite a while, and then he stopped to stretch out his legs and told me to go on without him. So, I continued on with a couple of miles left to the St. Charles aid station again.

Reaching the aid station, I had a mandarin orange, refilled water, and Brian tried to figure out my right foot.  The left foot was doing great (thank you Michael!), so I peeled the moleskin off the right foot and put on a blister bandage, hoping this would work and bring some relief. Also - a BIG thank you to Curtis Downs' parents, who live near the Imes Bridge and graciously allowed me the use of their bathroom before I left the aid station (for those of you who may wonder...there are no kybo's anywhere on the course, except at the start/finish line).

Brian walked with me for a couple of blocks as I left the aid station, giving me a pep talk and making sure I ate the damned peanut butter and honey sandwich lol.  I knew I wouldn't see him for a while - the next aid station was 14 miles ahead.  So he planned to go heat up some chicken noodle soup and boil potatoes so I would have some real sustenance for later in the race. After he headed back to the aid station I continued on, heading north out of St. Charles.  All was going ok until a mile and a half in, when I realized I didn't have my headlamp or reflective vest with me - I'd forgotten to grab them at the aid station.  I knew I would need them before the next aid station, so I called Brian and he said he'd get them to me.  When he handed them off, I also reluctantly told him not to worry about about hot food - my right foot was getting more and more painful (filling up with fluid?) and my brisk walk was slowing down with every step.  So, he decided to go wait in Bevington, about five miles ahead.

The next three miles were excruciating.  The blister on the ball of my foot popped, and slowed me to a hobble, which altered my gait and caused my knee and IT band to feel like they were on fire.  I considered my options, knowing that the next aid station was several miles beyond Bevington.  Realistically, I knew I could hobble along, but I knew that the pain would increase and despite the generous cutoff I doubted my ability to even finish the 100k distance.  So, I called Brian and told him to come pick me up. I was disappointed in myself, but happy with what DID go right - I was eating and drinking and staying on top of nutrition better than I ever have.  What I didn't expect were blisters on the balls of my feet - that has literally never happened before.  So, a learning experience, once again.

Reflections, 48 hours post-race:.....my Garmin Instinct (which I adore) had one bar left when I stopped it after 12-1/2 hours.  A little disappointed that it didn't have more life in it.  I started it once, stopped it once.  The total time includes one hour or so in aid stations.  I expected it to last longer....Feet recover fast. Yesterday I could barely walk, today I'm just a little sore (although the toenail on my second toe, left foot, is a goner).  The human body is resilient....

A big thanks to ALL the Booneville volunteers - you make this race what it is - awesome!  Thank you to the race directors for another solid race!  Thank you to a great cheering section of friends (Beth, Brian, Dana, Curtis) who gave all the runners a lift when we needed it most! 😄

Brooke and Shawn - you showed up at the crack of dawn, to see me off - thank you for your support and friendship always ❤ 
Brian, you are the best. You can be my wingman anytime 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment